“Sustainability is not a buzzword to us in the aluminium industry. It is a philosophical and cultural concept which we strive to incorporate into our everyday activities and are deeply committed to. As an industry we are convinced that we, and members of our value chain, have solutions to the many challenges faced by society, such as energy consumption, mobility, waste and climate change.”
European Aluminium Technology Platform & VISION 2030 (January 2006)
Forewords by the chairman of the EAA Education and Technology committee
The European Aluminium industry is committed to this philosophy and committed to continuous improvement on the pathway to sustainability.
EAA sustainability mission statement
The European Aluminium Association and its member companies are committed to pursuing the principles of Sustainable Development, i.e. “meeting the needs of the present, without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs”. This means remaining a competitive and growing industry, while:
• Meeting the needs of modern society and creating value by offering aluminium products with unique properties, including recyclability;
• Reducing the environmental impact of our production processes and that of our products through their life cycle;
• Demonstrating our social responsibility towards employees, customers, suppliers, local communities and society as a whole;
• Achieving continuous progress through the sharing of best practices and regular indicator-based reporting;
• Encouraging member companies to work along the lines of international environmental and social conventions, such as the UN Global Compact.